Plant part: Wood (aged wood from fallen trees)
Note: Middle – Base
Blends well with: Black pepper, cedarwood, clary sage, cypress, douglas fir, frankincense, lemon balm, myrrh, rose, sandalwood, vetiver
Aroma: Sharp, dry, peppery, and earthy
Palo Santo essential oil, also called “Holy Wood,” certainly delivers upon its name. The tree which Palo Santo oil comes from, Bursera Graveolens, grows in select parts of South America, where it is considered sacred. For centuries, shamans of the cultures there have used Palo Santo for rituals and spiritual guidance. Wood shavings were brewed as a tea for immune support and to reduce inflammation. In modern day medicine, Palo Santo oil shows promise in the reduction of tumor cells, and is a beneficial immune tonic, as well as reduces respiratory ailments. It helps increase circulation, and can even alleviate cramps and spasms.
The collection of Palo Santo is regulated in most countries, and for good reason. The trees are slow growing, and therefore essential oil is made from only branches which have fallen and been left to properly cure. The oil is then extracted through steam distillation to produce the deeply smoky scented clear liquid. Palo Santo oil makes a great addition to any collection for its clearing, cleansing properties.
Uses of Palo Santo Essential Oil
Circulatory System: Eases arthritis, Increases circulation, relieves rheumatism.
Immune System: Reduces cold, fever, and influenza.
Limbic System: Reduces mental fatigue.
Muscular System: Relieves aches, pain and spasms.
Nervous System: Alleviates headaches, migraine, reduces stress.
Respiratory System: Reduces asthma, bronchitis, sinusitis.
Therapeutic Properties: analgesic, anti-bacterial, anti-infectious, anti-inflammatory, anti-septic, anti-inflammatory, anti-spasmodic, anti-tumoral, cephalic, circulatory, decongestant
Recipes With Palo Santo Essential Oil
Colds & Fever:
- 5 drops of Palo Santo oil
- 5 drops of Tea Tree oil
- 5 drops of Lemon oil oil
- Add to your personal inhaler and inhale as needed
- 15 drops of Palo Santo oil
- 8 drops of Peppermint oil
- 8 drops of Cypress oil
- 5 drops of Lemon oil
- 4 tablespoon of jojoba oil
- Add to a 2 ounce squeeze bottle, shake to mix well. Apply enough to cover the area, and massage where needed to stimulate circulation.
- 2 drops of Palo Santo oil
- 2 drops of Rosemary oil
- 2 drops of Peppermint oil
- Add to your aroma diffuser and diffuse 30-60 minutes.
- 10 drops of Palo Santo oil
- 10 drops of Black Pepper oil
- 9 drops of Basil oil
- 12 drops of Cypress oil
- 10 drops of Mandarin oil
- 9 drops of Lavender oil
- 4 tablespoons of jojoba oil
- Add to a 2 ounce squeeze bottle, shake to mix well. Apply enough of this mixture to cover the problem area, and massage into the skin.
- 5 drops of Palo Santo oil
- 5 drops of Bergamot oil
- 5 drops of Ylang Ylang oil
- Add to a personal inhaler and inhale as needed.