Plant part: Resin
Blends well with: Bergamot, Neroli, Lemon, Sweet Orange, Lime
Aroma: Warm, sweet, dry, earthy, and musky with subtle woody hints
Color: Clear – Pale Yellow
Rich, earthy, and somehow lost in time – the scent of Opoponax essential oil carries you to the deep end of a pool you didn’t know you were swimming in. The scent leaves you with an amazing feeling of tranquility and stillness, yet somehow instills a bit of its wisdom to you.
Colloquially known as sweet myrrh, Opoponax has been used ceremoniously since the times of King Solomon. Its rich sweetness and earthy depth also makes it a lovely addition to perfumes. Medicinally, the natural astringent properties of Opoponax oil help to clear the respiratory system, by exerting a drying action on mucous membranes.
Opopanax is a perennial plant which produces small clusters of yellow flowers. It is native to Southern Europe and parts of the Middle East, where the warm weather enables it to produce a higher quality resin. To extract the resin, the Opopanax is cut at the base of the plant, allowing the resin to flow out slowly. The resin is then dried in the sun, becoming hard and golden. It is then put through a steam distillation process to separate the pure essential oil.
Uses of Opoponax Essential Oil
Digestive System: Stops diarrhea.
Immune System: Alleviates symptoms of cold and influenza, soothes sore throat.
Muscular system: Soothes aches and pain.
Nervous System: Reduces anxiety and stress.
Respiratory System: congestion, cough.
Skin: Can be used as an insect repellent.
Therapeutic properties: anti-inflammatory, anti-parasitic, anti-septic, anti-spasmodic, balsamic, expectorant.
Recipes With Opoponax Essential Oil
- 4 drops of Opoponax oil
- 3 drops of Ginger oil
- 8 drops of Peppermint oil
- 9 drops of Sweet Orange oil
- Add to 2 ounce squeeze bottle. Apply a teaspoon over abdomen and massage.
- 1 drops of Opoponax oil
- 1 drop of Tea Tree oil
- 2 teaspoons of honey
- 1 cup of warm camomile tea
- Add to a 4 ounce squeeze bottle. Use as a gargle 2-3 times daily or as often as needed.
Colds & Influenza:
- 5 drops of Opoponax oil
- 5 drop of Tea Tree oil
- 5 drops of Lemon oil
- Add to a personal inhaler and inhale as needed.
Anxiety & Stress:
- 5 drops of Opoponax oil
- 5 drops of Ylang Ylang oil
- 5 drops of Mandarin oil
- Add to to a personal inhaler and inhale as needed.
- 15 drops of Opoponax oil
- 40 drops of Eucalyptus oil
- 35 drops of Tea Tree oil
- 10 drops of Lemon oil
- Add to a 5ml bottle. With eyes closed, add 2 drops to a hot facial steam bath. Inhale through your nose, breathing deeply, for 5 minutes, or until the essential oils evaporate and you find relief.